"Take time to be deliberate; but when the time for action arrives, stop thinking and go in." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Time is too precious to waste on perfectionism. How often do you feel the FRUSTRATION of trying to get something 'just right,' only to feel your day slipping away from you? Instead of letting perfectionism take over your life, learn to recognize these 3 messages as danger signals and win back your time!
PERFECTIONIST MESSAGE #1
I need to wait for just the right time to get started. What exactly is the RIGHT time? Perhaps you believe the right time will arrive when:
- You feel inspired;
- You have more free time;
- There will be no distractions;
- There will be no demands placed on your time;
- Your friend makes good on the promise to help you clean out your garage.
In any of these instances, you are giving yourself the message that something ADDITIONAL is needed before you can begin. This makes you feel less powerful.
The right time is right now. NOW is what you have to work with. Schedule the time on your to-do list and start in. Like jumping into in a cool lake, once you take that plunge, you can enjoy the swim!
PERFECTIONIST MESSAGE #2
It is not PERFECT yet. If this is something you often say, ask yourself these questions:
- What do you consider perfect?
- Is it attainable?
- Whose eyes are you trying to see the project through?
- Are you anticipating criticism?
- Are your expectations for this project realistic or inflated?
DONE is better than perfect or It is good enough? Remember that the pleasure of accomplishment increases your self-confidence and satisfaction in your work!
PERFECTIONIST MESSAGE #3
I know I can make it BETTER. You may have certain weak areas. Here is where endless time can be wasted tweaking something until you can't even see it clearly anymore!
I will ask for FEEDBACK. This is powerful in 3 important ways:
- Others can see mistakes and oversights with fresh eyes.
- Delegating frees up your time so you can move on to your next task.
- You are embracing others' viewpoints. The more you welcome challenge, the less you fear their responses. This is one of the most powerful ways to fight perfectionism.
CHANGING YOUR FOCUS
Perfectionism is a way you can BULLY yourself into paralysis. Instead, celebrate your power to be productive, and enjoy your success at finding time! What is your next step to enjoy productivity without placing unfair demands upon yourself all the time?